»Wörlitz is neither a regional nor a German attraction; it is a European, a world issue...«
wrote the art historian Wilhelm van Kempen in 1925
The construction of the Wörlitz Castle belongs to the outstanding achievements of the Dessau reformers. It is the earliest Classical castle built outside of England. Following the design of buildings in England and Italy, it was constructed between 1769 and 1773 for the newly-married Prince and Princess by Friedrich Wilhelm von Erdmannsdorff, Prince Franz's friend and builder. The former Baroque hunting lodge had to give way to the new Castle. Its outside appearance and the integration into an artistically created, naturally formed landscape met the new feeling for style. Also, the interior design and the furnishing are aesthetic and designed in a simple, practical way, as it was common at that time. On the main storey the lobby, ten rooms, and two halls are arranged around the areaway. All rooms feature an exceptional artistic elaborateness with a rich stucco decoration adorning them. The ceiling paintings and murals are based on antique examples. Technical innovations, such as cast-iron stoves, wall-mounted foldaway beds, the refrigerator, or the pump facilitated living, improved hygiene, and had moreover been installed to ease the work of the attendants. Apart from the collection of antiques and the paintings of Old Masters, contemporary works of art likewise belong to the Castle's artistic furnishings, which were primarily constructed by local craftsmen. Once the Castle served the princely court society for representation and festivities, but from the very beginning it was open to everybody. Today the Castle is a museum that can be visited via tours.