»Wörlitz is neither a regional nor a German attraction; it is a European, a world issue...«

wrote the art historian Wilhelm van Kempen in 1925


You are here:
Sights >> Temple of Flora

Temple of Flora

Temple of Flora The Temple of Flora was built in 1797/98 by Erdmannsdorff based on the model of Chamber's Casino in Wilson, which again traces back to the Temple of Clitumnus near Spoleto. At the time of Prince Franz it served as a bandstand and was used for playing music in a quartet. In honour of the Goddess of Flowers and the Goddess of Youth this part of the Park has allways been decorated with flowers, which was rather uncommon in the early landscape parks. In front of the Temple one can even find the "highly adored tools of fertility painted into the green grass with flowers".

The interior of the upper level was coloured with genies, floral motifs and flower drawings in Wedgwood vases by Johann Fischer from Berlin. A flora statue represents the plastic decoration.